Trinidad & Tobago Fun Facts ...
Taken from True Nomads ... http://truenomads.com/2013/10/facts-about-trinidad-and-tobago/ ...
Here are 19 interesting facts about Trinidad and Tobago. When I visited, I thought of it as a less touristy Bahamas or Cancun. Awesome beaches, great diving, pretty girls. Whats not to love!
- Tobago only has 6% of the total area and 4% of the total population of this dual-island nation.
- Trinidad was named by Christopher Columbus on his third voyage to the New World in 1498.
- Trinidad and Tobago is one of the most important leatherback nesting sites.
- Tobago got its name because it resembles a tobacco pipe (tavaco) used by local natives.
- The Pitch Lake in South Trinidad is the largest natural deposit of asphalt in the world.
- Trinidad and Tobago Carnival has been consistently ranked as one of the top ten Carnival celebrations in the world
- The Steelpan: The only new acoustic instrument to be invented and accepted worldwide in the 20th century originated in Trinidad and Tobago.
- The people of Tobago are called Tobagonians and those from Trinidad are called Trinidadians or Trinis. Together the people of Trinidad and Tobago are referred to as “Trinbagonians.”
- The dances “limbo” and “calypso” were created in T&T.
- Trinidad and Tobago’s Dr Joseph Lennox Pawan achieved international acclaim for the discovery of the transmission of the rabies virus by vampire bats.
- The Trinidad Moruga “Scorpion” Pepper has officially been ranked as the world’s hottest pepper by the Guinness Book of Records.
- The oldest rainforest reserve in the Western Hemisphere is located in Tobago.
- Education in T&T is entirely free, contributing to the over 98% literacy rate.
- Children are expected to have basic reading and writing skills before starting school at age 5. Most start preschool at 2 ½ years of age.
- The world’s largest brain coral is located in Tobago.
- Cricket is the national sport.
- The limbo dance originated as an event that took place at wakes in Trinidad and Tobago
- The novels “Robinson Crusoe” and “Treasure Island” were based on these islands, and the movie “Swiss Family Robinson” was filmed here.
- T&T is one of the world’s leading exporters of natural gas.